Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Mistakes

Down With The Queen (#5)

In response to the Beat Generation

My goal was to create a personal narrative using a photograph from an artist in the Beat Generation. The narrative did not have to follow exactly what was happening in the photograph; I could create a different story. For instance, the photograph I chose was taken by Elliott Erwitt. It is an image of Grace Kelly after the announcement of her engagement. However, I am changing the meaning behind the photograph.

6d204a6b19e759442a3b6416b99748d8.jpg
Well, there's no turning back now; everyone is staring at me.
I know the room is bright and wide, yet I am looking around and I see the walls closing in. A misty fog rises up, covering every person’s face.
I can hear their whispers, spoken as though I could not.
There is no uniqueness to their tones; they all sound alike.
Their faces hold looks of malice, followed along with sardonic smiles.
Why did I come? What am I trying to prove?
Stop. I can not keep thinking this way. I will not be affected. I will not show my sorrows, no matter how hard it may be.
Looking up, I can only view two faces. They are not covered by the fog, as though they were protected by a shield.
Oh dear. I told myself they would be here, but I did not expect them to be here together. Can they notice my hands shaking? Can they feel the tension in my jaw?
I start to walk pass them until a sudden urge overpowered me. I knew I could not ignore them. I turn to them and I can notice their mouths slightly moving. I can imagine their oppressive comments towards me. I knew what I had to do.

“Hello Will, hello Brian.”

I look into Will’s eyes and there is no emotion to them. I knew he had become disenchanted with me. I spoke once more.

“Will, I am truly sorry for the sin I committed. Brian, I am sorry for manipulating you. I never meant to cause tension between your friendship, though I am glad to see that you two are still talking. Will, I still love you. I need you to know I still think about you everyday. I never meant to engage physically with Brian and it is not his fault. We were fighting, I was sad, and Brian was there. I told him we were no longer together. I am aware of my actions and consequences, quite frankly, so is everyone else. I just wanted to apologize one last time.”

I am waiting for a response but nothing is said. I knew I should not have come. I turn and walk away, passed the people and the double doors. I could not feel sadness for myself, I only felt it for Will. After, it is supposed to be our wedding day.

1 comment:

  1. I am really interested in the way that you wrote this, I like how you told a story based off a picture. How you made it seem real and I feel that this also has some metaphorical meaning behind it as well. How everyone's face was covered in fog, but the two men, Will and Brian, weren't. She had feel like she wronged them and so her subconscious only saw them within the crowd, and so she apologized. That is just my thought though, over all loved the quality of the piece.

    ReplyDelete