Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I Can Picture It

I Can Picture It. (#4)

In Response To The Man I Killed, by Tim O’Brien

I can still picture his face,
His ears, his nose, and his skin scattered all over the place.
A single tooth left for us to trace,

I can still picture his ring.
A symbol of love and the life it would bring.
This was not a simple fling.

I can still picture his photo.
I imagine his children beginning to grow
His love, they will never know.

I can still picture the date.
An accidental encounter of his soul mate,
A night that changed their fate.

I can picture her face,
When she hears of the man she can not embrace,
News she wished she could erase.

I can picture her ring,
Reminiscing on the joy he used to bring,
Content with everything.

I can picture her photo.
A time where there was no sorrow,

For the now young widow.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool, almost like it was a continuation of O'Brien's own writing. I remember reading that chapter, and the way that he wrote just showed how big of a moment in his life that it was. He must have really inspired you, and it showed, because I'm assuming that you don't actually have the experience of killing a man. But your rhyme scheme adds so much more to this poem. Poems that rhyme make me happy. Stellar job at making your poem come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the perspective of this poem and how it brings us into both the minds of the living and the dead. The way you have formatted it gives it structure and I really like that ever stanza has its own rhyming pattern. I think choosing to break the formatting for the end of the poem gives it a strong ending, and that if it didn't have that I don't think it would have been as impactful as it is. Overall, it is a great piece of work and a great insight into the chain of reactions of war.

    ReplyDelete